Mini Raisin Basbousa – a perfect sweet treat for Valentine’s Day!
Since we can’t go out, why not make it fun to stay in? These mini-cakes make a delicious treat, and a great way to spend quality time together.
Basbousa is a classic Middle-Eastern dessert, made with semolina. What I love about this recipe is that you can add in your own twist. I added California Raisins in my batter, and it took the cake to another level! California Raisins are the best raisins in the world, and I love their naturally sweet flavour. My toddler and I love snacking on them throughout the day!
Check out californiaraisins.ca for more great recipes.
*This post is sponsored by California Raisins*
Raisin Basbousa (Semolina Cake) Recipe
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1½ cup Semolina
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 cup California Raisins
- 1 tbsp Orange Zest
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Melted Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Toppings – Crushed nuts,edible rose petals and raisins (optional)
This recipe makes 18-20 mini-cakes. It can be easily halved to make less.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a pan.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Turn off stove and let it cool.
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease baking tray with butter. I used a mini-Bundt cake baking pan, but you can use a 9×11-inch baking tray as well.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar.
- Add sour cream, melted butter and vanilla extract to the mixture and whisk everything together.
- In another bowl, add semolina, flour, baking powder, California Raisins, coconut and orange zest. Mix everything well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes for mini cakes or 35-40 minutes for 9×11-inch baking tray. The cake should be golden brown on top, and an inserted toothpick should come out clean.
- Pour your prepared sugar syrup over the warm cake and let the cake cool down completely.
- Top with crushed nuts,edible rose petals and raisins.