Prep-Time – 25 mins
Cook-Time – 30 mins
Servings – 5-6 people
Difficulty Level – Medium
- 2 lbs beef cubes
- 3 cups basmati rice
- Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup milk (optional)
- 2 medium thinly sliced onions
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1/2 cup beaten plain yogurt
- Biryani spice mix (2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons ground coriander, 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground cardamom)
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- Handful of almonds
- Handful of raisins
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- Wash and soak the rice in cold water.
- Turn the Instant Pot to ‘saute’ and add 1/2 cup oil. When it says “hot” and the chopped onions and saute until light brown (about 3 minutes).
- Add the meat, ginger and garlic paste and the spice mix. Stir everything together, making sure the spice mix is evenly mixed with everything else. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix well.
- Put on pressure cook for 10 minutes. This step makes the meat really nice and tender.
- Release pressure and open the lid carefully.
- Add the yogurt, tomatoes, almonds and raisins. Mix everything together.
- Add the soaked rice on top of the meat mixture, spread it to make a thin layer of rice. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup milk (or 1 cup water). The water should just cover the rice layer.
- Put on pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure release naturally. Once released, carefully open the lid. Mix everything together.
- Serve in a bowl, garnish with fried onions and coriander.